January 1 is New Year's Day, and since it falls on a Tuesday this year that is the day it is observed as a federal holiday.
State and local government offices are closed and mail will not be delivered, but some businesses are open.
New Year's Eve, Dec. 31, is not a federal holiday, and most businesses will be open.
Here is a summary. Please add any other openings/closings in the comments below.
- Windsor town hall: open Dec. 31, closed Jan. 1
- Windsor Public Library: Open Dec. 31 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.; closed Jan. 1
- Windsor Public Schools: Public Schools: School resumes Jan. 2
- Banks: closed Jan. 1
- U.S. Post Offices: closed Jan. 1
- State government offices: closed Jan. 1
- State courts: closed Jan. 1
- Supeprmarkets: many open, check hours
- Retail stores, restaurants: many open, check hours
Alcohol sales will be permitted on Monday and Tuesday.
The Department of Motor Vehicles customer service centers are closed on Mondays as usual, and will also be closed for the New Year’s Day holiday on Tuesday, Jan. 1, reopening on Wednesday, Jan. 2, at 7:45 a.m.
Information about DEEP programs and state parks and forests may be found online at: www.ct.gov/deep