Hearts are broken across the nation Friday as gruesome news of the death of close to 30 individuals, including 20 children, at Newtown's Sandy Hook Elemenary School.
In response to the shooting, Windsor Police Chief Kevin Searles said Friday afternoon that he has received a call from Windsor Superintendent Dr. Jeffrey Villar regarding safety measures, and the two parties along with other local law and school officials plan to meet next week.
In particular, Searles said the meeting will include planning for "further security strategies."
Over the past few years, according to Searles, the Windsor Police Department has worked closely with Windsor Public Schools to ensure emergency plans and responses are in place.
In addtition, Windsor Police have been undergone training on how to respond to emergency situations such as the one that occured at Sandy Hook Elementary Friday morning.
Searles added that additional training for law enforcement agents had already been scheduled prior to Friday's shooting in Newtown.
Villar sent out an email to district parents Friday afternoon, expressing his condolences for Newtown families and plans to secure the safety of Windsor students.
In the message, Villar said he has spoken with all principals at Windsor schools and contacted Searles in a request for "increased security" at Windsor schools.
Additionally, Villar said, parents may notice "an increased police presence" at Windsor schools.
In addition to the email sent to parents, calls will be made to homes of those parents at 6 p.m. Friday, according to Windsor Public Schools spokeswoman Laura Soll.