A Windsor home caught fire Saturday morning, resulting in the displacement of a family and the loss of most of the property in the home but no injuries.
The residents of 18 Woodland Park, a husband, wife and 1-year-old son who did not want to be identified by name, said they thought a faulty clothes dryer caused the blaze.
The fire was reported shortly after 10 a.m. Saturday and Windsor firefighters had the blaze extinguished by 11 a.m. but the home was severely damaged. The house is still standing and the husband and wife are hopeful that they will eventually be able to return to it after repairs, which they said may take six months.
The wife said she was home Saturday morning, doing laundry and other work around the home when she noticed the dryer putting out smoke and shut it off. Shortly after, she "heard a boom" that startled her, which was followed by a power outage.
Originally suspecting a blown fuse, the wife checked rooms throughout the house for the cause of the outage. She asked a small group of contractors who had recently arrived to install a new window to help. Checking the dryer again, she noticed heavy smoke coming out of the machine. The wife grabbed her young son and escaped from the house before the fire accelerated.
The family was in the process of contacting the Red Cross for short-term assistance around noon Saturday and they are weighing their options for long-term temporary residency.
The family carries homeowner's insurance, which could lessen the financial harm caused by the fire, and has extended family in the area. The husband and wife were both upset by the substantial loss of property, noting a number of recent improvements and renovations made in the home, and disturbed by the random nature of the fire but thankful that no one was harmed.
The Windsor Fire Department has not yet been available for comment.
A fire reported around 10 a.m. on residential road Woodland Park, close to the Connecticut River and the Interstate-291 bridge, was extinguished by 11 a.m., according to Windsor police. There were no injuries and the house was evacuated.
Responders are still on the scene at 18 Woodland Park and information on the severity of the fire was not yet available. Look for more information about the fire soon on Windsor Patch.